Sunday, August 23, 2009

[Article] Tandem Covers the OAC Decision

Isabella Gagliardi, writing in Tandem, interviews Antonio D'Alfonso, Julie Roorda and Karen Shenfeld about the Ontario Arts Council's decision to withhold funding this year from Guernica Editions.

“This is about how we live in a society where culture is not funded enough,” Antonio D’Alfonso says, discussing the OAC's current grant criteria.

“Personally I feel that this is part of a larger trend," adds Guernica author Julie Roorda. "It seems to me that the kind of simplistic business model is being inappropriately applied not just across the arts but to education and health care as well. That model works for some businesses, but I think it’s very damaging to apply it to these other institutions like the arts that are based on values that are different from commercial values, which are just about making money."

"[At Guernica] there has always been a gap between commercial writing and literary writing," says Karen Shenfeld, reacting to the a"serious concerns about... impact and viability" expressed by the OAC. "I believe that alone should bespeak of Guernica’s viability."

The full article is available at http://www.tandemnews.com/viewstory.php?storyid=9355

9 comments:

  1. They are using business models to force the arts into a square peg of their own design. Under the conservative mind set everything connected with business is good and all that does not fit into the mold they reject or subvert.

    These unvisionaries see the world in terms of dollars and cents and they rail against the fact that the creative can't be pegged or canned to fit their tiny world view. We are dealing with the last of the neanderthals who want to use creative energy for profit at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hese students described a similar challenges as I had previously undergone, and more. The end result my latest blog post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i’m happy to convey that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to don’t forget this website and give it a look regularly. Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2021 price

    ReplyDelete
  4. great issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What could you recommend about your post that you made some days in the past? Any positive? buy steroids online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sites we Like…… [...] Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed below are the latest sites that we choose [...]…… steroids for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are very lots of details that adheres to that to think about. That’s a fantastic specify retrieve. I provide you with the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly you will find questions such as the one you raise up where biggest factor are going to be getting work done in honest great faith. I don?t know if guidelines have emerged around such things as that, but More than likely that the job is clearly defined as an affordable game. Both youngsters feel the impact of merely a moment’s pleasure, throughout their lives. hcg for sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta bookmark this website it seems very beneficial . human growth hormone for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to experience a tournament for just one of the finest blogs on the internet. Let me suggest this web site! hcg for sale

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been speaking to people, and I don't know if it's because we're in the first quarter of a new year or if there's more confidence in the economy, but I've realized that many more people are looking to start their own businesses. As a business owner and social entrepreneur, I think that's a great thing. I'm often asked about my thoughts about starting a new venture, and candidly, I love the adrenaline rush, vision driving and strategy development of a new business opportunity. david hoffmeister blog

    ReplyDelete